Skip to main content

"Eating Jamaican Style"

I love to cook and I especially love any food that has some kind of "Heat". I discovered something wonderful called "Jerk" Seasoning many many years ago and have been a big fan since. The spices & herbs bring out some wonderful flavors in any meat you choose to barbecue ie steak and chicken are my favorites. It's something everyone should discover for themselves; thou it's not for the faint of heart...your taste buds will explode in a good way ! Here is one of my favorite recipes to cook for myself that is quick & delicious...

"Jerk Chicken Kabobs" & "Cilantro Rice"

Jerk Chicken :

- 2 chicken breasts (boneless; cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes)
- 2 Bell peppers; Red, Yellow or Green (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 Red Onion (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- Button Mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
- 2 cups of Lite Italian Dressing

Marinade chicken in 2 tablespoons of Jerk Seasoning & 1 cup of Italian Dressing for about 30 Min's in refrigerator. Place vegetables into a resealable plastic storage bag with 1 cup of Italian Dressing shake well to coat all veggies; refrigerate for 30 Min's as well.

Thread your chicken onto a metal skewer and thread your veggies onto their own separate skewer; by doing this you will have more control of the cooking time/heat. Chicken should cook for 15 - 20 minutes on medium heat, turning once. The vegetable skewers should be turned often, every 2-3 minutes so they do not burn.

Cilantro Rice :

- 1 cup White Basmati Rice
- 2 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
- 4 Garlic Cloves mashed to release oils
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cups Water (use same cup you measured the rice in)
- Cilantro for garnish

Saute garlic/oil in deep frying pan on low heat, add 1 cup of rice and saute for a few minutes just enough that the rice turns translucent (about 2-3 minutes). Add 2 cups of water (make sure you use the same cup you measured the rice with - very important) stirring well. Add 2 cubes of chicken bouillon, stir until cubes dissolve. Bring rice to a rapid boil for about 1 minute & cover pan w/ lid and turn down to low about 2-3 on stove, cooking for 10 minutes. After complete remove lid and wipe off condensation before you place lid back on. Chop up fresh cilantro and sprinkle over the top of the rice and serve.

Enjoy !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Steak Escoffier (Escoffia)" Melts in your mouth.....

Can you say a little piece of "Heaven" ? This is truly one of those recipes that will stick with you forever, it's so delicious, it literary melts in your mouth, you can't help but let out a "Big Happy Sigh" when you taste your first bite ! This has been a "Top Secret" recipe of mine that I created from a favorite dish of a local Restaurant my family & I used to dine at. The restaurant is long gone, but the memory of this dish lives on...enjoy ! Steak : - Rib Eye Steak - 2 slices of Bacon - Sea Salt for seasoning - Ground Black Pepper for seasoning - 2 toothpicks soaked in water 20 minutes to prevent burning on grill Escoffier (Escoffia) Sauce : - 1 pkg Crumbled Blue Cheese - 1/4 cup/stick of Butter - 6-8 Garlic Cloves Peeled & Minced - 1 teaspoon Orange Extract Season both sides of the steak w/ salt & pepper wrap bacon around the steak and hold in place with toothpicks; cover and place in refrigerator for at least 30 Min's. Preheat

Babysitting-Turned-Baking!!!

So nearly three weeks later I am finally posting the pix-n-a video from the night my nephew, Micah, and I baked sugar cookies. I cannot tell you how many times I hear single friends of mine complaining about how they can't (or don't) get to do fun things with little ones since they're not yet parents. What do I say to that? That I'm sure there are plenty of little ones in or around your life some way or another to shoot that theory right out of the water! Now granted I do tend to lean on the complaining side of not being married for laborings sake, but even that has it's place. Now I realize that some may not be as blessed as I have to a handful of nieces and a nephew to enjoy such things with, but if you have no friends in your life with kids, feel free go out of your way to spend time with those who may need you in their lives. There are tons of programs through communities, local churches and various organizations (Big Brother, etc.) where you can invest into a

Ratatouille???

I don't know about you but I have love, love, loved the rain that has finally kissed us with it's sweet lips. Surprisingly, this morning's rain came with some pretty fierce wind, which having just moved here from Oklahoma (where the winds come crashing through the plains), it somewhat threw me for a loop. After enjoying the sounds of rain from inside the house while working in the garage, I decided I wanted nothing more than to eat something warm and somewhat soupish. Unfortunately I have not done a whole lot of shopping since my move back, leaving with me no choice but to doll up an organic can of beans. This week was kinda tough in that I had a whole lot going on! I had to relinquish the love of my life, Luke, to an adoptive parent who could give him a home, as I am still looking for mine and I staying with friends. My other Beagle, Tulsa, is staying at a bachelor pad with some friends of mine who I've known for a very long time. The plan is for Tulsa and I to move in