Skip to main content

A Night to Remember!

Wow. Has it been over three weeks already? I'm just now realizing that I haven't had an entry since the last day of last year. Sad--as there have been quite a few lovely cooking moments, stories and recipes. I have taken the pics, so we'll just need to play "catch-up"! I hope you don't mind...I may have to go from most recent back...yup, that's exactly what I'll do!

So the week before last, my girlfriend (and client), Gianna, decided it would be fun to have an all girls' night at her house for the Golden Globes (GG at G's) she called it (she's cute like that) in the beautiful hills of Sherman Oaks. Oh what a night! Although five were invited, there were four--the evening unfolded even better than what we saw on the red-carpet!

First to arrive, she greeted me while in the middle of making not one, but two appetizers. Yowza! Her first dish, Artichoke Jalapeno Dip was almost ready for the oven and already smelt absolutely divine. We began our evening toasting to a glass of Cava--if you enjoy champagne, this is nice. I believe she said she picked it up from Whole Foods.

While the dip was melting with all of it's madness, she pulled out one of my all-time favorites anyway anyhow...avocados and made guacamole--superbly delish! Additions to the menu of delights that evening included a mac-n-cheese(a recipe from Shape) which I was glad to have tasted, but I'm still not sure nutmeg was the way to go...and believe me, I am a huge fan of the meg. I do give Ms. Maya two-thumbs up for bringing something new to the mix (and of course we're ever grateful it was from Shape). Our evening came to a close with none other than strawberry shortcake (Brynn was cute enough to bake it in a heart-shaped pan) and chocolate-cupcakes with strawberries on top. This night was a night fit for a queen...and thus the four of us enjoyed every minute of every bite of every gown that walked the plank!

I'd have to say that the banter and critiquing of the gowns was far more entertaining that the networks had to offer...and really, what was E! thinking with their "play-by-play" blue markings on the gowns!?! I mean seriously, I love Ryan Seacrest--I think we'll be great friends some day, but as far as taking the award, so not fitting for an evening such as that! I think we laughed until our pants couldn't take it anymore...from what I understand, those events are the type where it's legal to be catty, is that right? (Yes, I asked for forgiveness when all was said and done.)

Needless to say, it was another successful night in the land that never goes to sleep...and I was glad to be a part of it!

Until next time, spruce up something normal with something fun...go ahead, make their days (and yours)!

Bon Appetit!

~Cyndi, 39
Fullerton, CA

Recipes:
*Artichoke Jalapeno Dip (Coming soon...)
*Gianna's Guac (Coming soon...)
*In Shape (I think the one we had that evening was a little different as it favored us with Cauliflower):
Ingredients
1 12-ounce box of uncooked elbow macaroni
1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
1 12-ounce can evaporated fat-free milk (or 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk)
4 ounces (1 cup) reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, shredded
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon black ground pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons bread crumbs, dried
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
Directions:
DirectionsPreheat oven to 350°F. Cook pasta according to the package directions. Drain and reserve 1/3 cup of the pasta water. Transfer pasta to a large bowl. While pasta is still hot, stir in sour cream, reserved pasta water, and diced tomatoes. Set aside. Scald milk by heating it in a medium saucepan over medium heat until tiny bubbles appear around the edges. Add cheese, mustard, pepper, and nutmeg. Simmer, stirring constantly, until cheese melts. Fold cheese mixture into the pasta and transfer to a casserole dish (mixture will be thin but will thicken as it bakes).Mix together bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over pasta.Bake uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Steak Escoffier (Escoffia)" Melts in your mouth.....

Can you say a little piece of "Heaven" ? This is truly one of those recipes that will stick with you forever, it's so delicious, it literary melts in your mouth, you can't help but let out a "Big Happy Sigh" when you taste your first bite ! This has been a "Top Secret" recipe of mine that I created from a favorite dish of a local Restaurant my family & I used to dine at. The restaurant is long gone, but the memory of this dish lives on...enjoy ! Steak : - Rib Eye Steak - 2 slices of Bacon - Sea Salt for seasoning - Ground Black Pepper for seasoning - 2 toothpicks soaked in water 20 minutes to prevent burning on grill Escoffier (Escoffia) Sauce : - 1 pkg Crumbled Blue Cheese - 1/4 cup/stick of Butter - 6-8 Garlic Cloves Peeled & Minced - 1 teaspoon Orange Extract Season both sides of the steak w/ salt & pepper wrap bacon around the steak and hold in place with toothpicks; cover and place in refrigerator for at least 30 Min's. Preheat

Babysitting-Turned-Baking!!!

So nearly three weeks later I am finally posting the pix-n-a video from the night my nephew, Micah, and I baked sugar cookies. I cannot tell you how many times I hear single friends of mine complaining about how they can't (or don't) get to do fun things with little ones since they're not yet parents. What do I say to that? That I'm sure there are plenty of little ones in or around your life some way or another to shoot that theory right out of the water! Now granted I do tend to lean on the complaining side of not being married for laborings sake, but even that has it's place. Now I realize that some may not be as blessed as I have to a handful of nieces and a nephew to enjoy such things with, but if you have no friends in your life with kids, feel free go out of your way to spend time with those who may need you in their lives. There are tons of programs through communities, local churches and various organizations (Big Brother, etc.) where you can invest into a

Ratatouille???

I don't know about you but I have love, love, loved the rain that has finally kissed us with it's sweet lips. Surprisingly, this morning's rain came with some pretty fierce wind, which having just moved here from Oklahoma (where the winds come crashing through the plains), it somewhat threw me for a loop. After enjoying the sounds of rain from inside the house while working in the garage, I decided I wanted nothing more than to eat something warm and somewhat soupish. Unfortunately I have not done a whole lot of shopping since my move back, leaving with me no choice but to doll up an organic can of beans. This week was kinda tough in that I had a whole lot going on! I had to relinquish the love of my life, Luke, to an adoptive parent who could give him a home, as I am still looking for mine and I staying with friends. My other Beagle, Tulsa, is staying at a bachelor pad with some friends of mine who I've known for a very long time. The plan is for Tulsa and I to move in