Skip to main content

A Girl's Best Friend...

Trader Joe's! Next best thing to Diamonds--in my book, anyways. I have to say I was rather disappointed in how quick I fell off the wagon with my gun-ho approach to a new me at 40! Oddly enough, I woke up yesterday morning, took my friend's kids to school, and then off to Tom's #4 we went. For one, it is amazing to me how many Tom's there are. Are they all just one big chain? One thing they have in common--the yummiest, fattening foods one can ever find! You can smell the grease as you are exiting the ramp, readying to turn onto their street (which in this case would be Orangethorpe).

I have to say though, I was encouraged as an ex emailed me after reading Sunday's blog forwarding me weight-loss tips via an email article entitled, "A Breakfast Favorite that Blasts Fat?" Wow, so it's come to this. Truly, the man is a gem and is as sincere as he is disciplined. He, in fact, has got to be one of the most disciplined people I know (especially when it comes to staying fit and eating right)! This is the guy who drank Plankton daily when we first met because he's just that healthy Regardless of the juice that contained oceanic-matter in it, the meals we cooked at his place were memorable for sure! So the article revolved around the almighty egg, of course...but had some great lessons to be learned!

Today was much, much better--only I didn't quite make it to the gym. Okay, no "quite's" about it--I didn't make it. Today I have been writing pretty much from the moment I woke up, only making enough room to go with a girlfriend to pick up her son from school, only to find out he wasn't really sick, after all. This was evident in his jumping up and down in the office when she walked in, to which he replied when she questioned him, "It doesn't hurt anymore." Man, do kids have it good!

Breakfast included not one, but two cups of cafecito, a banana and fat-free orange-cranberry cake. Now I don't exactly know how they manage to make it so, but they do. I do realize, however the calories are THERE!

Lunch was completely thrown together with Italian Sausage Tofurkey, a piece of Cheddar Cheese and a drink from Trader Joe's...upon which after consuming, I went back upstairs to write for another five hours. The bad news about being this focused is that I am not getting the chance to play with friends who invited me to say...the beach!

Dinner was nice. If you have a Trader Joe's where you live, you MUST go and see the gold there for poppers such as myself. Not only is their food tasty and extremely affordable, their beverages rate high, both in taste and in the pocket-book, as well. If you do shop at Trader Joe's and you've never had the chance to pick up the Fire-Roasted Vegetables with Balsamic Viniagrette, you are missing out! So this was what filled my Tuesday night tummy....the veggies and pretty tasty chicken (already on a skewer) can be found in the frozen section of Trader Joe's. Not too heavy, but tasty, indeed. What I enjoyed most about this evening's dish was the company and the fact that Tums was not an after-meal necessity.

Not sure I'll be blogging tomorrow--I think Wednesdays are definitely my busiest day and night of the week, so we'll see! As you can see, my cooking so far has not been much to boast about...never-the-less, I will include this evening's tasties from Trader Joe's--they are after all, a girl's best friend! Now, can one of my contributing authors post an entry? I fear I may have to actually post a video-blog...uh-oh!

Dinner Recipe:

2 skewers from the Trader Joe's Box of Marinated Chipotle Chicken
1 serving from Fire-Roasted Vegetables with Balsamic Viniagrette
1 glass of Strawberry-Banana Juice

Evening Snack:

1 Cup of French Roast Coffee with 1 packet of Sugar in the Raw

~Cyndi, 39
Orange County, CA

Comments

Ty said…
This is embarassing, but I was wondering why you wrote about food two posts in a row and then I saw the name of the blog, "COOKING Single in the City." Now it all makes sense :) I'm engaged now and my eating habits are changing rapidly, but having lived 6 years in Orange County as a single man, I know every restaraunt in North OC. If you need some recommendations....
You are the only person that I know who considers a cup of French Roast an evening snack. :)

I love your blog and will keep reading.

I started one a couple years ago called accordingtolonna.blogspot.com - it has some recipes on it if you want to check it out.

Love,
Lonna
Lovebug said…
I love your blog!! The soyrizo recipe,I'm trying for sure. I also noticed a little trick with soyrizo add a bit of milk or soymilk while cooking and the texture will turn out just like it's pork twin!!

Although a store I recently fell in love with is "Fresh and Easy." Seriously, you will find some great eats at low prices. In my addition, the meats are prepared and packaged for one or two..it's great.

http://www.freshandeasy.com/

I will depart with a meal I use when I need to clean the pipes. :)

A Bag of Broccoli
Wildwood tofu Firm Thai one block (Fresh and Easy and WholeFoods)
Sesame Seed Oil
Teriyaki Sauce you choose.. (optional)

Saute the tofu one block with a bit of sesame seed oil. Add a bit of Teriyaki sauce. I usually don't use sauce. Add broccoli and saute. Great meal to take on the go!! The fiber is high and the tofu is all protein to keep from snacking all day long! Enjoy with a cup of Yogi Green Tea!! :)

Popular posts from this blog

"Steak Escoffier (Escoffia)" Melts in your mouth.....

Can you say a little piece of "Heaven" ? This is truly one of those recipes that will stick with you forever, it's so delicious, it literary melts in your mouth, you can't help but let out a "Big Happy Sigh" when you taste your first bite ! This has been a "Top Secret" recipe of mine that I created from a favorite dish of a local Restaurant my family & I used to dine at. The restaurant is long gone, but the memory of this dish lives on...enjoy ! Steak : - Rib Eye Steak - 2 slices of Bacon - Sea Salt for seasoning - Ground Black Pepper for seasoning - 2 toothpicks soaked in water 20 minutes to prevent burning on grill Escoffier (Escoffia) Sauce : - 1 pkg Crumbled Blue Cheese - 1/4 cup/stick of Butter - 6-8 Garlic Cloves Peeled & Minced - 1 teaspoon Orange Extract Season both sides of the steak w/ salt & pepper wrap bacon around the steak and hold in place with toothpicks; cover and place in refrigerator for at least 30 Min's. Preheat

Babysitting-Turned-Baking!!!

So nearly three weeks later I am finally posting the pix-n-a video from the night my nephew, Micah, and I baked sugar cookies. I cannot tell you how many times I hear single friends of mine complaining about how they can't (or don't) get to do fun things with little ones since they're not yet parents. What do I say to that? That I'm sure there are plenty of little ones in or around your life some way or another to shoot that theory right out of the water! Now granted I do tend to lean on the complaining side of not being married for laborings sake, but even that has it's place. Now I realize that some may not be as blessed as I have to a handful of nieces and a nephew to enjoy such things with, but if you have no friends in your life with kids, feel free go out of your way to spend time with those who may need you in their lives. There are tons of programs through communities, local churches and various organizations (Big Brother, etc.) where you can invest into a

Ratatouille???

I don't know about you but I have love, love, loved the rain that has finally kissed us with it's sweet lips. Surprisingly, this morning's rain came with some pretty fierce wind, which having just moved here from Oklahoma (where the winds come crashing through the plains), it somewhat threw me for a loop. After enjoying the sounds of rain from inside the house while working in the garage, I decided I wanted nothing more than to eat something warm and somewhat soupish. Unfortunately I have not done a whole lot of shopping since my move back, leaving with me no choice but to doll up an organic can of beans. This week was kinda tough in that I had a whole lot going on! I had to relinquish the love of my life, Luke, to an adoptive parent who could give him a home, as I am still looking for mine and I staying with friends. My other Beagle, Tulsa, is staying at a bachelor pad with some friends of mine who I've known for a very long time. The plan is for Tulsa and I to move in