Skip to main content

Amarillo By Morning...

Not a cook?!! Maybe a baker? Definitely an Olympic-worthy left-over warmer...

I told Cyndi that I would need to write for that category! Yes, that's me--that I had the inspiration for a dish was miraculous. It was even a thrill to shop for the ingredients and picture myself, oh so chef-like, putting the ingredients together, spending hours in the kitchen enjoying the creativity and the smells and then when it came to that first bite...
I realized ...chef-like? Was I crazy, I could win "Not Top Chef"! It wasn't all I dreamed it would be and I wouldn't be rushing home to MY leftovers. In fact, I knew I would be desperately snagging money from my "I thought I might get a vacation" fund in my meager budget to buy food I would actually look forward to eating.

It's really bad when you won't even eat your own cooking!! Me...write for this blog? Well, even the worst of cooks eventually hit on recipes that are YUM enough to be remembered and just can't be messed up...I promise I'll bring you those, unless I throw in a Caviar Pomegranate Pot Pie recipe just to see if you remember I don't claim to be a cook!!

Now I have been known to pull off some baking and make a good batch of Chocolate Chip Cookies on occasion-don't snicker- I haven't always loved mine, but they do get eaten. Even a chewy cookie that gets hard in a day is great dunked in milk or coffee!!!

Maxine, you were fabulous and brave to video blog (10/7)...Rachael Ray's a little nervous. Luv Chocolate Chip Cookies & Ghirardelli's, but hmmm...I wondered why I didn't see Cyndi & the kids eating bites of cookie dough and then I noticed you kept the bowl quite close to you. Were you sneaking bites when no one was looking?! HaHa! I usually eat so many spoonfuls that I don't have room for the cooked ones and I learned on Top Chef that the chef always tries the food before it goes out!!

Cyndi, your list of utensils and bakeware was so helpful (10/9), but are you sure I need to buy Thongs to cook with? I don't think Pampered Chef has expanded their line to lingerie or pampering their chefs that much! Are you sure you want people to know that much about your cooking style? You funny, Cyndi, you funny!!

Thanks to Cyndi for the invite to write.

My first blog ever was great fun--looking forward to more & yes you can pick on me, too...

~Lorie, 46
Amarillo, TX

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Steak Escoffier (Escoffia)" Melts in your mouth.....

Can you say a little piece of "Heaven" ? This is truly one of those recipes that will stick with you forever, it's so delicious, it literary melts in your mouth, you can't help but let out a "Big Happy Sigh" when you taste your first bite ! This has been a "Top Secret" recipe of mine that I created from a favorite dish of a local Restaurant my family & I used to dine at. The restaurant is long gone, but the memory of this dish lives on...enjoy ! Steak : - Rib Eye Steak - 2 slices of Bacon - Sea Salt for seasoning - Ground Black Pepper for seasoning - 2 toothpicks soaked in water 20 minutes to prevent burning on grill Escoffier (Escoffia) Sauce : - 1 pkg Crumbled Blue Cheese - 1/4 cup/stick of Butter - 6-8 Garlic Cloves Peeled & Minced - 1 teaspoon Orange Extract Season both sides of the steak w/ salt & pepper wrap bacon around the steak and hold in place with toothpicks; cover and place in refrigerator for at least 30 Min's. Preheat...

A Girl's Best Friend...

Trader Joe's! Next best thing to Diamonds--in my book, anyways. I have to say I was rather disappointed in how quick I fell off the wagon with my gun-ho approach to a new me at 40! Oddly enough, I woke up yesterday morning, took my friend's kids to school, and then off to Tom's #4 we went. For one, it is amazing to me how many Tom's there are. Are they all just one big chain? One thing they have in common--the yummiest, fattening foods one can ever find! You can smell the grease as you are exiting the ramp, readying to turn onto their street (which in this case would be Orangethorpe). I have to say though, I was encouraged as an ex emailed me after reading Sunday's blog forwarding me weight-loss tips via an email article entitled, "A Breakfast Favorite that Blasts Fat?" Wow, so it's come to this. Truly, the man is a gem and is as sincere as he is disciplined. He, in fact, has got to be one of the most disciplined people I know (especially when it come...

Cooking Under theTuscan Sun...

...was a LOT of fun! Singles drizzled in from a long week's work, only to find themselves with the likes of others, who, like them, were ready to take on the challenge of home-made pasta, along with some staple Italian dishes, of course. The verdict? Delicioso! Please note: I only including the recipes for Panna Cotta, Sicilian Meatballs and our 15-Minute Tomato Sauce (simply amazing); however, ify ou'd like to give our Caprese Salad or homemade pasta-making a shot, email me at cookingsingleinthecity@gmail.com for the recipe--we're more than glad to oblige. Recipes - Cooking Under the Tuscan Sun Sicilian Meatballs (Courtesy of Bon Appetit) Ingredients: 2/3 cup breadcrumbs 3 tablespoons milk 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese 1/4 cup finely chopped onion 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil 1 large egg 1 garlic clove, minced 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper 1 pound sweet Italian sausages, casings removed 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted 2 tablespoons dried currants or...